Listen to the Audio
Read the Notes
What Would You Do With Leaders Who Fall Away Through Disillusionment
- There are a variety of reasons why people do this.
- We want to win people where they are winnable.
- We don’t want people on a team whose heart isn’t in it – it is better to release them.
- When it’s a personal pain it is a time to minister to them and show your care for them.
- Because the reasons are varied, the response will also be varied.
- When someone’s heart is no longer in the vision, you need to let them go.
When Did Newfrontiers Start and How Many Churches Is It Now?
- It was gradual as Terry started helping different churches.
- Initially when they needed a name they started calling it ‘Coastlands’.
- A prophecy was given by John Groves about no well-worn paths and they came up with the name Newfrontiers to reflect this.
- This happened in the mid-eighties.
- Globally there are more than 1500 churches in Newfrontiers.
How Does It Work in Practice When You Leave Your Secular Job For Ministry?
- It helped that Terry was single at the time!
- Initially he lived on his savings – which happened for a few weeks.
- His parents thought he was crazy giving his job up.
- He lived by faith for two years – he never sent a prayer letter or dropped a hint, but the income came.
- He had to pay the rent, bought ‘challenged’ newspaper to give out, paid to hire a schoolroom to meet in, pay for gas for his motorbike, etc.
- There were no churches who were funding this kind of thing at the time – and there wasn’t much counsel given either.
What Have You Found To Be The Hardest Part of Doing What God Has Called You To?
- The most difficult thing to deal with was a crisis that happened in India where the person on the International Team was running it very legalistically.
- The lid came off this while Terry was in India at a conference.
- There was a lot of opposition as Terry started planting churches– particularly from other Christians around the Brighton area.