Listen to the Audio
Read the Notes
What Do You Do When the Team is Too Big?
- When Newfrontiers grew as a movement and he asked people to look after churches, Terry quickly gathered them into his team.
- But the team got too big to have effective national and international oversight.
- The people who were right to look after churches weren’t necessarily the right people to oversee national strategy.
- He needed to cut back and appoint a smaller team.
- Often when you bring in a lot of people early in a movement or in a church you can end up clogging things up with people who are not right for the role they are now in.
- We shouldn’t think of more conservatively minded people as enemies. They are with you but you need to win them over and convince them that God is in it.
- It is good to distinguish with people what we know, what is faith and what is risk.
- In some churches trustees can have inordinate authority. When first invited, trustees should have a clear idea what their realm of authority is.
- You want to have people’s hearts but you don’t want them to be ‘yes-men’.