5. Mighty One – Isaiah 49:26
Isa 49:24 Can the prey be taken from the mighty, or the captives of a tyrant be rescued?
Isa 49:25 For thus says the LORD: “Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken, and the prey of the tyrant be rescued, for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children.
Isa 49:26 I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine. Then all flesh shall know that I am the LORD your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.”
- My little dog never bites, unless he is guarding food he ahs stolen from somewhere and you try and take it back. (prey)
- Can prey be taken off a wild animal? Only if a bigger animal comes along (hyenas – lion)
- Can captives be taken off a warrior who has claimed them? They are his right by conquest! Only if a stronger warrior defeats him.
- When you gaze upon massive unreached cities, communities oppressed by the tyrant SIN, captive and enslaved to DEATH. The Devil is saying, “these are mine by right of conquest.”
- The Mighty One, the Mightier One steps in. Challenges the tyrant to a duel. Defeats him. And now all his prey belong to the new Victor.
- Abir (rare: only 6 times in whole bible – unique to God).
- Certainty: People, places, communities imprisoned by Satan.
Jesus has defeated Satan.
He has a rightful claim on those people and places.