8. Speaker and Spoken – Isaiah 55:10-11
Isa 55:10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
Isa 55:11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
- The words of God are powerful and effective. They produce a result. They possess intrinsic life and power.
- God said “let there be light. And there was light.”
- Jesus is the Word of God. What he was sent to do was done. What he was sent to accomplish was accomplished.
- Rain and Snow both have to give themselves up in order to bring life to the harvest. Snow has to melt. Rain has to be subsumed into the soil. Both lose their life in order to give life.
- “Word of God” – the Bible also has the pure unadulterated power to change lives.
- Two great missionary encouragements about the “Word of his grace” – the power of the gospel.
Jas 1:21 Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
Act 20:28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.
Act 20:29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock;
Act 20:30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears.
Act 20:32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
“All of the tree is in the seed.” A to Z is in the gospel. Galatians “don’t add anything.” Let it do its work.