9. Midwife – Isaiah 66:9
Isa 66:9 Shall I bring to the point of birth and not cause to bring forth?” says the LORD; “shall I, who cause to bring forth, shut the womb?” says your God.
- I have 4 kids. But I don’t remember the names of any of the midwives who delivered them. Really important that they did their jobs well. I probably thanked them. But I don’t know them. And I don’t really honour them.
- This is a really faith-inspiring verse. God as midwife. He is the one who speaks, who makes promises. Carrying promises is like being pregnant with something. It is gestating inside you. It is growing inside you. It is awaiting the appointed time.
- But at the appointed time, it is also God who brings it to birth. You can’t make it happen yourself.
- And so it helps us pray – God you gave this promise, we are carrying it… O God please would you bring it into being!
- Our house story… God, you’ve brought us 9/10 of the way! Won’t you do the final 1/10?
- But also, so significant as a mode of mission.
- Cross-cultural gospel witnesses as midwives.
- Midwives of new birth (individual)
- Midwives of churches being born (local church, local leaders, scaffolding). Hugely important role, to make sure it’s born healthy, that it gets off to a good start. But then, go and deliver another one!
- Even midwives of movements (eg catalyst).
- Midwives don’t have a future claim on the child they deliver.
- Midwives’ job is crucial, skillful, and all about timing.
- Midwives are not in it for their own glory.